[Asis-l] Registration Now Open: Closing the Digital Curation Gap Symposium, March 7th, 8:30-4:30, UNC-Chapel Hill
Tibbo, Helen R
tibbo at ils.unc.edu
Sun Feb 24 16:51:22 EST 2013
Please excuse cross postings.
Registration now open: http://tinyurl.com/acgdjmv
Over the past decade, a significant gap has emerged between the research and development in digital curation, on the one hand, and professional practices of archivists, librarians, and museum curators, on the other. There are now many viable applications, models, strategies, and standards for long-term care of digital objects. However, many institutions with a mandate to do this work are either unaware of the options or currently unable to evaluate and implement them. There is a need to test, refine and diffuse existing innovations into professional practice.
The Closing the Digital Curation Gap (CDCG) Symposium will address a variety of issues and initiatives related to digital curation capacity building. This day-long event will explore continuing education and development of resources to guide professional in getting started in digital curation.
Speakers will report on a wide range of projects and professional development initiatives in the US and Europe. Interactive sessions will provide the opportunity for audience members to share their own experiences, needs and expectations, as well as providing input on the activities and products presented by the speakers.
Date: Thursday, March 7th, 8:30 - 4:30
Location: Pleasants Room, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill
Cost: $25; Students $10
Lunch and Breaks Included
* Scott Brandt, Associate Dean for Research, Purdue University Libraries
* Dr. Kevin Cherry, Deputy Secretary, North Carolina Office of Archives & History
* George Coulbourne, Office of Strategic Initiatives, Library of Congress & DPOE Program
* Joy Davidson, Associate Director, Digital Curation Centre, Glasgow, Scotland
* Jackie Dooley, Program Officer, OCLC Research & President, Society of American Archivists
* Wendy Duff, Professor, Faculty of Information, University of Toronto
* Sarah Koontz, Director, Division of Archives and Records North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources
* Mike Furlough, Associate Dean for Research & Scholarly Communications, Penn State University
* Dr. Christopher Lee, Associate Professor, School of Information and Library Science, UNC-Chapel Hill
* Dr. Gary Marchionini, Dean and Cary C. Boshamer Distinguished Professor, School of Information and Library Science, UNC-Chapel Hill
* Nancy McGovern, Head, Curation and Preservation Services, MIT Libraries
* Laura Molloy, Preservation Researcher, Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute, University of Glasgow
* Dr. Helen Tibbo, Alumni Distinguished Professor, School of Information and Library Science, UNC-Chapel Hill
* William Veillette, Executive Director, Northeast Document Conservation Center
CDCG is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the School of Information and Library Science, UNC-Chapel Hill. The Joint Information Systems Committee and the Digital Curation Centre (UK) are partners.
Hope to see you on the 7th!
Dr. Helen R. Tibbo, Alumni Distinguished Professor
School of Information and Library Science
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3360
tibbo at ils.unc.edu<mailto:tibbo at ils.unc.edu>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Asis-l