[Asis-l] Register and Save: June Copyright Symposium in Washington, DC
SPetersen at umuc.edu
Tue Apr 6 12:17:15 EDT 2010
Register for the Copyright Symposium on Issues Impacting Libraries and
Early Registration Ends on May 7.
Hybrid (c): Sustaining Culture in Copyright.
June 22-24, 2010.
Washington Convention Center, Washington, DC.
Culture flourishes through the creation of new music, videos, and
textual works. The CIP symposium will explore better ways to balance the
needs of cultural innovation with the rights of owners of creative
works. Join noted scholars and practitioners to discuss today's
copyright concerns and questions -- view the agenda at
- WILLIAM PATRY, Senior Copyright Counsel, Google Inc.
- PETER JASZI, Professor, Washington College of Law, American
- GEORGIA HARPER, Scholarly Communications Advisor, University of Texas
at Austin Libraries.
What can you copyright? How long does copyright last? Do you have to
register a work to copyright it? Get the answers to these copyright
questions and others during this preconference session.
"Fair Use Trends."
- MADELYN WESSEL, Associate General Counsel, University of Virginia.
Fair use is not well defined, and each potential infringement is judged
on a case-by-case basis. How do the courts currently interpret fair
uses? Learn about the current state of fair use in this session.
- LATEEF MTIMA, Professor of Law & Founder and Director of the Institute
for Intellectual Property and Social Justice, Howard University School
- PEGGY HOON, Special Assistant to the Provost for Copyright
Administration, North Carolina State University.
- JIM GRIFFIN, Managing Director, OneHouse LLC.
- RICK CHESSEN, Senior Vice President of Law and Regulatory Policy,
National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA).
- And many more... see http://tinyurl.com/yc8yaya.
Early registration is $300 -- a 30% savings. Use your full CIP
membership for significant symposium registration discounts. Not a
member yet? Join now at http://www.cipcommunity.org/membership.
For registration and information, visit http://www.umuc.edu/cip2010 or
Center For Intellectual Property
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
spetersen at umuc.edu
More information about the Asis-l