[Asis-l] Launch of NS2: Niche Social network Sites Blog | Facebook Group

gerrymck gerry.mckiernan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 17:18:19 EST 2008

With the increasing number of Niche Social Network Sites (NS2), I have
decided to create a separate blog devoted to NS2s.

NS2 is "devoted to **documenting** the variety of online social
network sites and services established to facilitate networking among
communities with focused interests or purpose" and is

[ http://nichesocialnetworksites.blogspot.com/  ]

A Feedburner webfeed is available at

[ http://feeds.feedburner.com/NS2NicheSocialNetworkSites ]

A companion Facebook Global Group (Open To All) has also been created;
One can join the group at

[ http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33724644068 ]

>>The Facebook is devoted to **discussing** issues related to  Niche Social Network Sites<<

NS2 will profile ***non-Library and non-Educational*** online social
networks sites/news/publications/etc.

It has been seeded with recent posting to the Friends blog

[ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/ ]

BTW: I've been invited to contribute detailed profiles of Niche Social
Network Sites to _Searcher: The Magazine for Database Professional_

[ http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/default.asp ]

and will be submitting 2,000-2,500 word contributions over the coming
months/years …

I expect that the first profile will be published in a Spring Issue [?]

BTW-2: I am greatly interested in learning of Any and All Niche Social
Network Sites for NS2, as well as suggestions of NS2
Genres / Types / Categories (e.g. Military, Women, Librarians), and
would appreciate any recommendations (as comments on the Blog Entry @[
http://tinyurl.com/64yk8s ]) and/or on the Facebook Discussion Board.

BTW-3: For Examples of Niche Social Network Sites, Please See My IL
2008 presentation (Slides 90 ->)
[ http://tinyurl.com/6ayxoq ] and/or a related Friends blog entry [
http://tinyurl.com/2hkdyq ].

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]