[Asis-l] Announcement: OCLC Institute Distance Learning Offerings

Lytle,Amy lytlea at oclc.org
Tue May 7 11:51:13 EDT 2002

[Posted on behalf of Erik Jul.  Widely distributed with apologies.]

Dear Colleague:

Last week the OCLC Institute announced access to online technical learning
through a partnership with MindLeaders (http://institute.oclc.org/).

Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions we have received since

Q. Are the prices for real?
A. Yes.  The OCLC Institute offers four different MindLeaders COURSE GROUPS,
priced as follows (prices are in U.S. dollars):

End User Desktop Computing Group Price: $55.  This includes all 180 courses
in the 39 series.
Technical General Group Price: $110.  This includes all 194 courses in the
31 series.
Technical MCSE Group Price: $110.  This includes all 147 courses in the 37
Technical Web Development Group Price: $110.  This includes all 81 courses
in the 16 series.

Q. What do I get for my money?
A. Individual unlimited licensed subscription access for one year (24/7/365)
to each purchased COURSE GROUP (every series, every course, plus quarterly
updates to the course catalog).

Q. Do librarians really need this kind of stuff?
A. Here's a snippet from a library job posting I saw just yesterday:

Minimum Qualifications
Knowledge of current and emerging technologies in digital and web-based
library services including:
Access, SQL, XML, CGI, ASP, CSS, VBScript, Perl, Java, and HTML/XHTML

Q. Where could I learn all of that?
A. The OCLC Institute...with MindLeaders.

Learn online.  Anytime.  Anywhere.

Erik Jul
Executive Director
OCLC Institute