[Asis-l] ISMIR 2002: Hofstadter to speak; CFP revised calendar
Michel.Fingerhut at ircam.fr
Fri Apr 12 08:30:49 EDT 2002
[This annoucement is crossposted to several mailing lists. Apologies for
ISMIR 2002 - 3rd International Conference
on Music Information Retrieval
October 13-17, 2002
Ircam - Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
- I am glad to announce that Douglas Hofstadter will deliver the keynote
opening speech of ISMIR 2002.
- The paper/poster submission deadline has been updated (see below).
- Paper and poster submissions are due May 6, 2002 (revised date).
- Call for tutorials and panels is closed.
- Early registration is open (including accommodations).
- Detailed information on the conference Web site
What is ISMIR
The annual ISMIR Conference is the first established international forum
for those involved in the tremendous growth of music-related contents
available digitally, locally or remotely, through networks.
This area presents vast challenges for those who need to organize and
structure, provide tools to search and retrieve, and use them
efficiently: music representation, when it exists, is multi-dimensional
and time-dependent; audio instantiations are voluminous objects
requiring particular care for storage and transmission while preserving
quality; descriptive information about what is musically significant
addresses a large spectrum of internal and external characteristics,
from acoustic to musicological ones; intellectual property rights about
what can be made available and how are complex, involve a variety of
individuals and organizations, and vary from country to country.
All of these concerns are of interest to education, academia,
entertainment and industry. This conference thus aims at providing a
place for the exchange of news, issues and results, by bringing together
researchers and developers, educators and librarians, students and
professional users, working in fields that may contribute significantly
to this multidisciplinary domain, by presenting original theoretical or
practical work in peer-reviewed contributions (papers, posters), serve
as a discussion forum (panels), provide in-depth information in specific
domains (tutorials), and show current products (exhibit).
The honorary chair of the conference is composer conductor Pierre
Boulez. Among the keynote and guest speakers: Leonardo Chiariglione
(Telecom Italia and MPEG), Dave Data (All Media Guide), Harriette
Hemmasi (Indiana University), Eric Scheirer (previously of MIT Media Lab
and Forrester Research), Ted Tanner (Microsof).
Detailed information about the conference and its organization is
available on its Web site (http://ismir2002.ircam.fr/) and will be
regularly posted in the music-ir mailing list (information on
subscription available on the conference site).
Domains and Topics of Interest
ISMIR 2002 solicits original contributions in the following domains
(this is a non-exclusive list), as they apply to music information
* Algorithms and methods for classification, clustering, probabilistic
modelling, association analysis
* Artificial intelligence
* Data mining
* Expert systems
* Formal models of music
* Knowledge representation, discovery and acquisition
* Machine learning
* Pattern recognition
* Perception and cognition
* Soft computing (neural networks, fuzzy systems, evolutionary
Typical topics of interest, inasmuch as they relate to music information
* Formal models of music and their digital representations
* Music digital libraries (design, use)
* Music indexing and metadata (authoring and generation)
* Music recognition (printed, audio)
* Music representation, coding, language modelling
* Musical styles and genres
* Music similarity metrics (perceptual criteria such as pitch, rhythm,
timbre; musical criteria such as form, genre, etc.)
* Query languages for music IR (expressiveness, complexity)
* Routing and filtering for music and music queries
* Standards (metadata schema, XML, MPEG, Dublin Core, *MARC, Z39.50...)
and other metadata or protocols for music information retrieval (CDDB,
* User interfaces
* Socio-cultural aspects
* Systems issues (performance, compression, scalability, databases,
architecture, distributed search, multi-agent systems, mobile
* Validation (user needs and expectations, evaluation of music IR
systems, building test collections, experimental design and metrics)
* Intellectual property rights issues (nationally and internationally)
* Business models and experience
General information for submissions
* Submissions should be formatted according to the provided template
* Submissions should be sent electronically in Word or PDF to the
appropriate email address before the specified deadline (see below).
* All submissions will be peer-reviewed.
Authors are invited to submit papers, which they will present in
30-minute sessions (20 minutes for presentation, 10 for Q&A).
* Papers should not exceed 3000 - 5000 words (approximately 10 pages).
* Papers should include 150-200 words abstract.
* Submission must consist of original contributions (not previously
published, and not currently being considered for publication
* Papers will be peer-reviewed.
* Submissions must be received by April 19, 2002.
* To submit, send your paper via email (ismir-papers at ircam.fr).
In the event there are more excellent papers than can fit into the
conference program, we may request some paper submissions become poster
Poster sessions will consist of printed posters - exact sizes to be
announced - available throughout the conference in a nearby space.
* Submission should consist of an extended abstract 750 -1,000 words (2
pages maximum, including references, to be included in conference
* Internet connection will be provided for each poster session
* You are encouraged to bring a laptop computer
* Submissions must be received by April 19, 2002
* To submit, send your poster proposal via email
(ismir-posters at ircam.fr).
Throughout ISMIR 2002, space will be available for publishers,
booksellers, software and systems sellers and other companies interested
in exhibiting their products.
* Deadline for full applications is September 30, 2002.
* Interested exhibitors should request information and/or apply via
email (ismir-exhibits at ircam.fr) .
More information about the Asis-l